We all deserve a little indulgence in our lives (especially in these times). This divine dessert is created by Chef Joseph from Karma Kandara. It features just a handful of easy to source ingredients and is super easy to conjure up in your kitchen. We love the addition of the Jamu Granita (how creative) that gives this classic dessert an Indonesian twist.
Banana Flambee, Balinese Brem, vanilla bean gelato, Jamu granita, kemangi
- Melt butter and sugar in a frying pan.
- Add banana pieces, cut side down and saute over medium heat until browned.
- Flip bananas over and continue to cook until slightly brown.
- Remove pan from heat and add brem liquor.
- Place back on the stove over high heat and light liquor with long-reach lighter to ignite.
- With a long spoon, baste the liquor over the bananas until the fire has extinguished.
- Divide the caramelised bananas into two serving dishes evenly with the sugar syrup.
- Top with a generous scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream or gelato.
- Add the Jamu granita on top.
- Garnish with kemangi leaves.
Note: If you do not have access to Brem, a dark rum of 80-90 proof will work just fine as a substitute!
Jamu Granita Recipe
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour into a baking pan and freeze until hard. Approximately 3-4 hours.
- With a fork “scrape” the ice into rock crystals.
- Store in the fridge covered until ready to use.
- Note this recipe yields a lot. Keep in the freezer and be creative. It’s a refreshing topping for fresh fruits, yogurt fruit parfaits and smoothie bowls.