Sounds simple right? Except that this is strawberries & cream as imagined by award-winning culinary creative Joseph Antonishek. Which means this is Masterchef level stuff. Give it a try if you want to impress at your next dinner party. Or simply sample the dish at Karma Kandara – it is, in a word, heavenly!
- Prep timeOvernight
- Cook time1 hour
Compressed (Bedugul) Strawberries
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Gently place in a vacuum bag and compress with medium pressure.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a stand-alone mixer, combine the mascarpone, whipping cream, coconut milk and icing sugar.
- Mix on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Place in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Kemangi Ice Cream
- In a heavy bottom pot, combine the milk with cream, half of the sugar and kemangi. Place on the stove over low-medium heat and bring to just below a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and let the kemangi infuse in the milk for 20 minutes. Turn the heat up and bring back to a simmer.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks with the remaining half of the sugar. Temper the yolks with 300 ml of hot cream by whisking vigorously into the yolks.
- Pour the tempered yolks into the pot of cream. Turn the heat to low and stir softly with a wooden spoon until Nappe consistency is achieved. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer immediately.
- Pour into Pacojet cylinders and ice down to chill. Once the ice cream base is chilled, place the Pacojet cylinders in the freezer overnight. The next day, process in the Pacojet to manufacturer’s specifications.
Kaffir Lime Meringue
- Mix the egg whites with icing sugar to create a meringue. Add milk powder, mix well.
- With an offset spatula, thinly spread the meringue on a parchment-lined baking tray. Sprinkle the kaffir lime leaves over the top.
- Bake at 100 degrees Celsius for one hour. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature and crispy.
- In a blender, puree the strawberries with the water.
- Add to a pot with the sugar and agar agar. Bring up to a boil, remove from heat, strain and place in a metal container to chill in the fridge.
- Once the agar agar has set, remove from the container and process until smooth in the blender. Place in a vacuum pack machine to remove air and then transfer to a squeezee bottle until ready to use.
- In a blender, puree the kemangi with the water. Add into a pot with the sugar and agar agar. Bring up to a boil, add the vinegar and remove from heat, strain and place in a metal container to chill in the fridge.
- Once the agar agar has set, remove from the container, process until smooth in the blender. Place in a vacuum pack machine to remove air and then transfer to a squeezee bottle until ready to use.
- In a mixer with a paddle, cream the sugar and the butter until smooth. Add the flour until mixed together on slow speed.
- Roll out on a parchment-lined baking tray and place in the oven at 175 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool to room temperature. Place in a food processor and pulse until crumbled to your desired texture. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Candied Kemangi Leaves
- In a mixing bowl, lightly whip the egg white to break down the albumin.
- With a pastry brush, gently brush both sides of the kemangi leaves with the egg whites and dip them in the pulverized sugar.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet tray and store in a dry part of the kitchen overnight to dry out. Once dry and crispy, remove the sheet tray and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Place a dollop of the coconut mascarpone off centre on the plate and swipe with the back of the spoon to make a half moon shape. Arrange the strawberries abstractly on top of the mascarpone.
- Sprinkle some cookie crumble on the mascarpone to hold up the gelato. Place a scoop of gelato on top of the cookie crumble.
- Garnish with the strawberry and kemangi gels, candied kemangi and fresh mint leaves.
- Place two pieces of the kaffir lime meringue on the dish and serve immediately.