Another Keralan classic recipe from Karma Chakra’s Executive Chef Pradosh. Kappa Vevichathu is mashed Tapioca (Yucca root) flavoured with the best of Indian ingredients including coconut, turmeric, cumin seeds, chillies and curry leaves. Served with fish curry, you’ll find this on the menu at many of Kerala’s restaurants and tea shops. It’s so tasty you can eat this dish for breakfast!
For the tempering:
How to Prepare
- Step 1 – Clean, peel and cut the tapioca into small pieces.
- Step 2 – Grind the grated coconut, green chillies, red pearl onions, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 – In a large pot, add the cleaned tapioca pieces, salt and enough water to cook the tapioca. Water level should be 2-3 inches higher than the tapioca pieces.
- Step 4 – Cover and cook on low-medium heat till the tapioca is done. Drain the excess water. Mash the tapioca well.
- Step 5 – Make a hole in the centre of the mashed tapioca. Place the coconut masala and one tablespoon of coconut oil in the hole. Cover the hole with the mashed tapioca.
- Step 6 – Cover and cook for another 4 – 6 mins on low heat. Finally, mix everything well with a heavy spoon.
- Step 7 – Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, sliced red pearl onions, curry leaves and saute till the onions turn light golden in colour.
- Step 8 – Add the grated coconut and fry until the mixture turns golden brown. Add this to the cooked tapioca and stir well. Enjoy! .