Malvani cuisine is typical of the Konkan region – comprising Maharashtra and Goa. Coconut is a commonly used ingredient in most dishes of this region. Malvani Chicken Curry, also known as Malvani kombdi rassa in Maharashtra, is a popular chicken preparation.
Executive Chef Kundan of Karma Royal Haathi Mahal, Goa invites you to try this simple, yet flavourful dish, using his own recipe.
- Dry roast all whole spices and grated coconut in a frying pan on low flame for 4 (four) minutes.
- Take the pan off the flame and let cool.
- Grind the dry-roasted, coconut-spice mix in a grinder, adding water to make a thick paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and add chopped onions. Cook on a low flame till the onions turn golden-brown.
- Add the chicken pieces, coconut-spice paste, salt and chilli powder.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently till the chicken is cooked.
- Best served with steamed basmati rice.