A trip to Udaipur is incomplete without delighting your senses with this signature Rajasthani dish! Laal Maas literally translates to red meat, and uses mutton as the main ingredient. In its original preparation, this mutton curry tastes as fiery as it looks!
Executive Chef Jeevraj, of Karma Seven Lakes – Udaipur, is a master at cooking this traditional Rajasthani curry. Take advantage of the recipe he’s shared here to recreate this amazing dish at home.
- Grind the ginger and garlic into a fine paste.
- Cut and wash the mutton well.
- Marinate the meat with ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder and curd. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee, add whole spices and onion slices. Fry until the onion is browned.
- Add marinated mutton and whole red chillies. Fry for 10-15 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and Kashmiri chillies and cook on low heat till the meat is well cooked.
- Garnish with julienne-cut ginger and fresh coriander leaves.
- Best served with bajra or whole-wheat chapatis.