Executive Chef Joseph of Karma Kandara resort shares his take on this French fare, flavoured with garlic, hot chilies, kaffir lime and crispy aromatic herbs! Says Chef Joseph: ‘We offer this European delicacy on special occasions – our guests rave about the flavour and the novelty.’
Crispy Frogs’ Legs
Garlic, hot chilies, kaffir lime & crispy aromatic herbs
- Prep Time30 minutes
- Cook Time10 minutes
- Yields1 portion
Crispy Aromatic Herbs
*At Karma Beach we have a deep fryer. To prepare at home an additional step needs to be taken, which also adds time and cost to this recipe.
- In a heavy bottom pot add the liter of vegetable oil and heat to 177 degrees Celsius.
- With a spider, add the herbs all at once and fry until crispy.
- Remove from the fryer, transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl to cool and reserve.
To Prepare the Frogs’ Legs
- Pat the frogs’ legs dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and white pepper.
- Lightly dust both sides of the legs with flour. Pat off any excess flour.
- Meanwhile in a medium non-stick pan add the oil and butter. Bring up to medium high heat.
- Once the butter starts to bubble add the legs topside down.
- Continue to cook the legs until a nice golden-brown caramelization happens. About 3 minutes.
- Flip the frog legs over and continue to cook until the bottom side reaches caramelization. About 3 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and carefully remove the legs from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
- Discard the grease from the pan and add the second part of the butter to melt.
- Add the garlic and chilies. Turn the heat on low and saute gently.
- Add the frog’s legs back to the pan and turn the heat up gently to medium, constantly flipping the legs in the pan to evenly coat them in garlic and chilies.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the frogs’ legs and turn off the heat.
- Add the fried herbs to the frogs’ legs and give them a good toss incorporating the herbs evenly.
- Place on a plate and serve with kaffir lime for garnish and additional citrus flavour if desired based on personal tastes.