Chef Danny is the culinary brains behind the delicious menus at Karma Sitabani, our hotel on the borders of historic Jim Corbett National Park with its population of Bengal tigers… Here he shares this simple delicacy – one that’s delicious and easy to try at home…
“These soft and spongy dumplings are one of the best things that you’ll have in the Kumaun region. Whether it’s a festival, wedding or any other important celebration, Kumauni Laggad will be on the menu every single time!”
- Soak chickpeas and black lentils overnight.
- Drain the water and grind the chickpeas and lentils to a fine paste.
- Mix the paste with the finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, green chilli, salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning as per taste.
- Form the mixture into small to medium balls, then flatten them and coat with sesame seeds.
- Deep fry in hot mustard oil.
- Serve warm – preferably with green chutney, salad, stuffed unleavened bread.