Recipe: Bumbu Genep (Traditional Bali Sauce)
- Clean and chop all of the ingredients into small pieces.
- In a saute pan, heat up the coconut oil to medium heat.
- Add the ingredients and stir constantly, cook until tender.
- Add 25ml water and simmer until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a storage container to cool.
- Reserve until ready to use.
Balinese BBQ sauce
- In a heavy bottom pot, warm the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add all of the vegetables and saute until they become soft and water comes out.
- Add water and turn down the heat to a slow simmer.
- Add the tomato ketchup, honey, lime juice and season to taste.
- Simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning if need be.
- Remove from the heat and puree in a blender once cooled.
- Transfer to a storage container and reserve until ready to use.
Cooking the Pork Ribs
- Portion the ribs into 250gram portions and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the seasoned ribs with the bumbu genep.
- Place in a pot with a little bit of water, just enough to cover.
- Simmer slowly until the meat is tender. About 1 hour.
- Remove from the pot of water and reserve at room temperature until ready to grill.
- Heat up your barbecue grill.
- Brush the ribs with more bumbu genep and place on the hottest part of the grill to char and heat through. Brushing more bumbu genep as needed.
- Once the ribs are hot, brush with the Balinese barbecue sauce and move to a warm part of the grill to continue to cook and stick the sauce to the ribs.
Recipe: Candidasa Green Salad
- Place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on the side of the famous Candidasa pork ribs.