Chef Pradosh – Karma Chakra, Kerala
These two dishes are best combined to create a rich, creamy, fragrant meal that captures the gentle spirit of Kerala…
Vegetable stew recipe
- Firstly, in a large kadai, heat ½ tbsp coconut oil and saute 2 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon and 2 pods of cardamom.
- Add ½ onion and saute till the onions shrink slightly but do not brown the onions.
- Then add 5 beans, ½ carrot, ½ potato, 3 tbsp peas, 10 florets of cauliflower, 2 green chilli and 1 inch ginger.
- Saute for a minute.
- Then add 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt and a few curry leaves.
- Mix well.
- Cover and boil for 5 minutes or till vegetables are half cooked.
- Now add 2 cups of coconut milk (thin consistency) and mix well.
- Boil for 7 minutes or until vegetables are cooked completely.
- Turn off the flame and add a few curry leaves, ¼ cup thick coconut milk and 1 tsp coconut oil.
- Mix well.
- Finally, serve kerala style vegetable stew with idiyappam or appam.
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 to 3 hours. Drain.
- Combine the soaked rice, cooked rice and ½ cup of coconut milk and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Add the sugar, remaining 1½ cups of coconut milk and salt and mix well.
- Add a little lukewarm water to the yeast and mix well.
- Add it to the rice mixture and mix well (the batter should be of dropping consistency). Cover and keep aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat an appam kadai or a deep non-stick tava and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter into it and slowly rotate the kadai in a circular motion so that a thin layer forms on the side while the middle remains thick.